This Saturday June 5th, 2010 marks National Trails Day — a day in which the American Hiking Society says:
[…] inspires the public and trail enthusiasts nationwide to seek out their favorite trails to discover, learn about, and celebrate trails while participating in educational exhibits, trail dedications, gear demonstrations, instructional workshops and trail work projects.
I encourage everyone across the state to find a local trail [or not so local trail] and enjoy the parkland, and maybe see something new, or find a work crew and help give back a little. If you’re looking for a local event to meet other people, or maybe find a guide for a trail you’re unfamiliar with here are a few of note:
- Parsippany: guided hikes, bike rides & trail maintenance opportunities at Central Park
- Millbrook Village: Hike to Save The Delaware Water Gap sponsored by the NJ Sierra Club
- Oaklyn: REI Marlton sponsored trail cleanup in Saddler’s Woods
- Morris County: I previously posted about the film festival Friday: Wild & Scenic Environmental Film Festival
- Ocean County: 3mile hike in Cattus Island County Park
Bear Mountain, NY: Celebrate the reconstruction of the
original section of the Appalachian Trail!, NY-NJ Trail Conference’s event with activities, guest speakers, music and more
- More at: AHS National Trails Day New Jersey Listing
If you’re hosting or know of an event this weekend that I didn’t mention please leave some information and a link in the comments section of this post.
And if you’re looking for more to do outdoors this summe check out the article The great Morris outdoors: 10 local activities you need to try this summer in the Daily Record for some ideas.